About Our Program…
The Transitional Care Program is available for patients that may need more time to heal or strengthen before going home. Medicare also calls this program a “swing bed” program. You may not need to see a doctor every day, but our nursing staff and therapists will provide the additional care you need.
Who is Eligible?
To qualify for the Transitional Care Program, you must:
- have been an inpatient at Grant Memorial Hospital or another facility for 3 days,
- have a stable medical status,
- need skilled nursing care or rehab 5 days per week, which is directly related to your prior hospital stay,
- have Medicare Part A, or other qualified insurance plans, and
- be willing to participate in medical and physical rehab based on skilled care needs
We will review your progress every day. The Swing Bed Team will talk to you about your progress to determine if you need to stay in the program or if you are ready to go home.
What Services are Included?
- Rehab Services like Physical Therapy, Occupational Therapy, Speech Therapy, and Respiratory Therapy
- IV Medication Therapy
- Wound Care
- Activities Program
How Long Can I Stay?
You may be in the program for 1 to 2 weeks. Some patients may be in the program for as long as 40 days. If you need more than 40 days, we may talk to you and our family about a longer term facility like a nursing home.
Why Choose the Transitional Care Program at Grant Memorial Hospital?
- Experienced RNs 24 hours per day, 7 days per week
- On site physical therapy, occupation therapy, speech therapy, and respiratory therapy
- Care providers working together to help you reach your goals
- On site services you may need like x-Ray, lab, pharmacy, dietary and activities services
- Hospital-based doctors on site every day to stay in touch with nurses and other care providers if necessary
- Follow up call within 24 to 72 hours after you go home to see how you are doing
How to Get More Information
If you are interested in receiving additional information about The Transitional Care Program at Grant Memorial Hospital, contact our Social Services Department at (304) 257-1026 extension 2562.